Bonus post: the Brooklyn Half

I’m running the Brooklyn Half tomorrow. It’s one of my target races this year, so I’ve been training with it in mind.

The race ends on the Coney Island boardwalk, on which I’ve run twice this year – on February 26 and March 24. Needless to say, I think the joint will be slightly more crowded tomorrow.

One of the nice things about running is, like cycling, you can see a variety of areas while getting in a good workout. When I posted the photo of my cards showing the 80 Brooklyn neighborhoods without context, one of my running-buddies asked if we would be hitting all of those spots on a single run. I suppose it’s possible, but it would take a lot of planning — not to mention endurance.

As you might expect, I wondered how many nabes those of us running the Half tomorrow will cover (or at least border). The route starts near the Brooklyn Museum; does a roundabout route around Grand Army Plaza via Flatbush Avenue; wends its way into Prospect Park at Park Circle for a full loop; then heads down a shadeless Ocean Parkway to the boardwalk.

The answer: 15! That’s 18.75% of all of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Note: Crown Heights and Coney Island are technically not on the route — at least in my version of the map — but they do adjoin the corrals and the finish line.

I recommend that those running not stop for a meal in each. (Of course, since the race starts at 7 a.m., not many pizzerias will be open.)

This entry was posted in Bonus posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Bonus post: the Brooklyn Half

1. Pipes says:

Good luck tomorrow Keith. Have a great run!

2. chickenunderwear says:

Actually, the race passes through Coney Island. Your lines are just in the wrong place.

Have a Good time.

3. Keith says:

Thanks, guys.

Michael, what do you suggest I put for West Brighton’s boundaries? I had a hard time with it – even harder than Sunset Park. I knew I’d get some objections.

4. chickenunderwear says:

I always thought Brighton Beach just connected to Coney Island, with Ocean Parkway is the border between Brighton and Coney Island.

I never thought there was anything called West Brighton.

In any case, your map puts the Cyclone, Luna Park and the Aquarium in West Brighton. No.

5. Keith says:

Yeah, which is why it gave me a headache. I think it’s a historical thing. For some reason the DCP still has West Brighton down, though, and it looks like it uses Stillwell Avenue as the boundary.

Plus, West Brighton was at the end of the Sea Beach Railroad, which today is the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue stop. So West Brighton must have been at least that far west.

I plan to visit the “fun stuff” whenever I pull either Coney Island or West Brighton, so it doesn’t really matter in the long run. Maybe I’ll adjust.

6. hjdole says:

You should share this post with NYRR. I bet they’d post it on their site somewhere or even send it as a link in their post Half recap, or maybe share it in their future ads for the race. It is awesome that the race took you through so many neighborhoods (and at such a fast per mile pace!!)